Developing Addiction Problems in Antigua
Antigua is located in a beautiful part of the world. It attracts plenty of holidaymakers and expats who decide to make it their home. Like anywhere else though, this paradise does have its problems. There will be local people who are dealing with issues such as addiction, and this can be a problem for foreign visitors as well. Those people who find that they are dealing with an addiction problem in Antigua will need to get help as soon as possible. The longer they delay getting this help the more they will end up suffering.
Expats and Foreign Tourists with Addiction Problems in Antigua
There are plenty of cases of expats or tourists who fell into addiction while staying in Antigua. In some cases the person will have had a bit of a drink or drug problem before they arrived, but this is certainly not always the case. There are a number of reasons for why addiction problems can strike people while they are staying in Antigua:
- When the individual is away from their home country it will mean that they will be far away from the usual constraints. They will not have family, lifelong friends, and employers putting pressure on them to behave. There are many high functioning substance abusers who are able to keep things under control in their home country because there is so much pressure on them to do this. The problem is that when they arrive in a place like Antigua they will feel free of such constraints and this allows their condition to deteriorate.
- When people come to stay in Antigua they will be in a holiday mood. This can give them a feeling of invincibility, and they become willing to engage in activities that they would never consider at home. For example, there are many people who would never consider drinking first thing in the morning at home, but they believe that such behaviour is reasonable when they are on holiday. Even expats who are staying in Antigua long term can still hold onto this holiday mood where they will do things that they would never do at home.
- There can be quite a strong drinking culture among visitors and expats to this part of the world. This means that there is a great deal of temptation to engage in similar behaviour. Many of the social activities for visitors and expats do involve alcohol.
- Those people who are not used to the hot weather can use it as an excuse to drink excessive amounts of alcohol.
- Some people come to retire in Antigua. This means that they suddenly have a great deal of time on their hands, and they may choose to fill this with alcohol or drugs. The fact that the individual has now retired can also mean that they feel they have earned the right to party hard. The individual may fail to appreciate that they are actually ruining their retirement by engaging in this activity.
- It is common for those who are going to be staying in a country long term to develop culture shock. This can involve a great deal of stress, and the person may decide to deal with this by turning to alcohol or drugs.
- Alcohol can be very cheap in Antigua when compared to places like the UK ??? in fact it is one of the cheapest places to buy beers in spirits in the world. This means that people can afford to drink a lot more than they would at home.
Addiction Help in Antigua
There are a number of options for people who require addiction help in Antigua including:
- Local alcohol and drug rehabilitation centres
- 12 Step recovery groups
- Medical assistance
- Charity groups
Addiction Help for Expats in Antigua
The options for expats dealing with addiction problems in Antigua are going to be very limited. There are a handful of 12 Step groups, but in order for the person to have a good chance to break away from addiction they are likely going to need to spend some time in rehab. This means they will most likely need to leave the country in order to get this type of help. These days medical tourism is very common, and travelling to other countries for rehab help is a straightforward process ??? especially when you take advantage of our help. If you are an expat you may decide to travel back to your home country for the help you need, or we will be able to arrange a suitable facility somewhere else in the world.
Things to Consider When Looking for Addiction Help in Antigua
There are a number of things that the individual will need to consider when looking for addiction help in Antigua:
- Antigua is a relatively small island ??? the largest city only has a population of just over 30,000. This means that the addiction and recovery options available locally will be limited.
- English is the official language of Antigua, but many of the local people will use a type of Creole language that may be difficult to understand. It is vital that the individual is able to communicate effectively in order to get help for their addiction. Most professionals working in addiction recovery will speak Standard English, but this might not always be the case with volunteers.
- If the individual intends to enter a rehab in Antigua but return back to the UK directly afterwards, it may be tricky to arrange aftercare. It is important to be clear about how the person will get sufficient support once they return home.
Addiction Help Outside of Antigua
One of the great things about modern technology is that it has made the world a much smaller place. It is relatively easy for a person in one part of the world to find out information about things that are available in another part of the world. This can be a real boon for those people who are looking for addiction help. It will mean that their addiction options are greatly increased. Expats will be able to check out options in their home countries or even in other international destinations. Those individuals who are looking for information about their international options can save themselves a great deal of time by getting in contact with us here.
We Will Help You Search for an Appropriate Rehab
Choosing the right rehab can be a difficult choice to make, but this is not something that you are going to need to do alone. We are here to help you look at all the available options so that you can make the most appropriate decision. Our team is highly knowledgeable on what is available internationally, and we will be able to make the arrangements once you do make a decision. The biggest problem that people will usually have when choosing a rehab is that that they do not know what is available and how to access what is there. Contact us on here right away, and together we will find the solution to ending your addiction problems.
Alcoholics Anonymous Meetings Antigua
- Alcoholics Anonymous ??? The Pineapple Group ??? Monday, Wednesday, Saturday 19:00 – Miss Davis School, St. John’s
- Alcoholics Anonymous ??? Recovery Crew Group ??? Tuesday and Thursday 19:00 – Cobbs Cross Health Centre, Cobbs Cross