Drug and alcohol treatment centres are available for people in Londonderry to begin living a new and better life. The individual will be entering the ideal environment for fostering recovery. Of course, there is no guarantee that the individual will achieve lasting sobriety just because they have agreed to enter such a facility. The achievement of this goal will be completely in their own hands. When people in Londonderry enter a rehab they are entering the ideal environment but they will need to make the most out of their stay in order to guarantee their own success. If the individual does not put sufficient effort into the program they will not be likely to succeed.
Barriers to Addiction Treatment
There are certain barriers that can prevent people from getting the most out of an addiction treatment program. One of the most dangerous of these involves the person becoming physically sober but not making any effort to become mentally and emotionally sober. This means that the person is not drinking or using drugs, but their behaviour is much as it always was. This situation is often referred to as dry drunk syndrome. It is something that can not only affect people recovering from alcohol abuse but from any drug.
Featured Londonderry Alcohol & Drug Detox Treatment Centres
The symptoms of dry drunk syndrome would include:
- The person is negative about everything. Even when things start to go well for them the person will find things to complain about.
- The individual has a closed mind and refuses to consider new information and new ideas. Their automatic response to suggestions from their counsellors is to say no. This person will tend to see the world in black and white and they refuse to change their beliefs and opinions.
- The dry drunk will tend to be cynical about recovery and those who are trying to help them. They may believe that those working in rehab have the wrong motivation, and that real recovery is not possible for anyone.
- This person will always be criticising. They like to point out the faults of other people. When they are being nice it comes across as insincere. They seem to get a kick out of watching other people fail.
- The dry drunk looks upon recovery as something to be endured rather than something to be enjoyed. They may feel resentful about not being able to drink and use drugs, and they may treat their new life as being similar to serving a prison sentence.
When people are caught in dry drunk syndrome it is not possible for them to progress in recovery. It is therefore vital that people do not allow themselves to fall into this trap. This can be avoided if he individual deliberately tries to promote a positive outlook and feels optimistic about the future. By having this type of attitude the person will be increasing their own inner motivation thus greatly increasing their chances of being successful. The experience that people have in these facilities does often boil down to attitude so it is vital that people consider this.
We offer dedicated local treatment across??Londonderry??including??Londonderry,??Coleraine,??Limavady.