Recovery as an Investment
One of the best ways for people in Lanarkshire to view addiction help options like rehab is as an investment in their future. With the right type of addiction support the individual will be taking a positive step towards a better future so this is definitely a good move to make. There are plenty of free recovery options available, but like with most things in life the person can expect a bit more back when they make an initial investment. This is one of the reasons for why people in Lanarkshire will want to consider private rehab.
Good Reasons to Invest in Recovery
There are many good reasons for why people will want to invest in recovery including:
- It is not really possible to put a price on health and happiness, but the individual will be greatly increasing their chances of enjoying both of these when they give up alcohol and drugs.
- Substance abuse usually damages a person???s career prospects and it will eventually make them unemployable if they continue with the downward spiral. One of the most effective things that the individual can do to improve their career is to give up their addiction. This will put them in a position to climb their career ladder or even change to another career path that is more satisfying.
- Most alcohol and drug users will spend a fortune feeding their habit. This means that when they quit they are going to save a good deal of money. Even if the individual chooses a luxury rehab facility they will usually have earned back the money for this within a few months of being sober.
- When the individual gives up their addiction it should mean that they become a better partner and a better parent. This is a great investment in the future of their family.
Featured Lanarkshire Alcohol & Drug Detox Treatment Centres
How to Get the Most Out of an Investment in Recovery
An investment in recovery is just like any other type of investment in that things can go wrong. The reality is that most of the risks can be avoided when the person takes heed of the following:
- In order to benefit from a period in an alcohol or drug detox it is vital that the individual is 100% committed. If they enter this program with an ambivalent attitude they are unlikely to get much out of the experience. All that any rehab facility can do is offer the individual the tools they need to make a good life and it will be up to the person to make use of these tools.
- If all the person does is to give up alcohol and drugs then it is unlikely that they will find happiness in recovery. This is because the reasons for why they abused these substances in the first place are likely to be still there. It is vital that the individual starts to tackle their deeper issues so that they can avoid falling into other maladaptive behaviours or relapsing.
- The individual needs to understand that their future is now in their hands, and it will be up to them to take things in the direction they want to go. The great thing about rehab is that it will provide the individual with the tools they need to make a success of their life. This facility is like a training ground where the person gets to try out their tools in a controlled environment. Once the individual becomes competent at using these tools they will then be well on their way to a better life.
- Once the person leaves rehab they need to cherish their recovery like it is the most precious thing in the world ??? because it is. If the person loses their recovery, they risk losing everything. This means that staying sober has to be their priority in life and nothing should be allowed to get in the way of this.
- The individual needs to appreciate that life in recovery is not just about staying sober. It is a continuing process of self improvement that will never end. The aim is progress and not perfection, but the individual should be continuing to progress no matter how long they have been sober.
- It is vital that the individual learns not to take themselves too seriously. It is OK to have fun and enjoy life. It does not need to be an endurance race, and if people treat their recovery like a prison sentence they will certainly not be getting the most out of the experience.
- It is best to keep on open mind in recovery ??? this is sometimes referred to as beginner???s mind. The individual needs to be willing to try new things and not automatically dismiss anything. It is fine that people have beliefs, but these should not be held onto too tightly. If the person thinks that they know everything already they will be unable to learn anything new. It is sometimes the things that people feel unsure about that prove to be the most rewarding.
- In order to get the most out of recovery it is often necessary for the individual to move away from self obsession. People who fall into addiction tend to be terribly narcissistic, and they can take this with them into recovery. Devoting more time to thinking about the needs of other people can be a path to great happiness. This is why service in recovery can be such a good option. When the individual tries to help other people it will often be them who benefit the most from the deal.
- In order to get the most out of recovery the individual needs to be willing to face the ups and downs of life. The fact that they are recovering from addiction does not mean that they will be given a free pass. They are going to have plenty of bad things happen to them along with the good things. The only real difference is that sobriety makes it possible for the individual to handle the bad times far more easily.
We offer dedicated local treatment across Lanarkshire??including??Lanark, Glasgow, Coatbridge, Carluke, East Kilbride, Hamilton, Motherwell