It does seem to be the case that some individuals are more prone to addictive behaviour than others. There are a number of reasons for why this happens but one that is most talked about is the addictive personality. This is a set of character traits that most substance abusers will tend to share. One of the main goals that people will have in recovery will be to overcome the worst of these negative personality quirks so that they are less likely to relapse or fall into other maladaptive behaviours. People in Pontypridd who are on the brink of ending their addiction to alcohol or drugs may benefit from understanding a bit more about the addictive personality and how to overcome it.
Character Traits Associated with the Addictive Personality
The character traits that are most associated with the addictive personality would include:
- An inability to delay gratification. The individual wants to be happy now, and they do not like the idea of having to wait for anything. They do not understand the need for delaying gratification for future happiness.
- This person will be prone to risk taking behaviour.
- They will have a tendency to act impulsively. This means that people take action first and think about the consequences later.
- The individual is likely to have a belief that they are dealing with a great deal of stress in their life. They will then use this as an excuse to drink or take drugs ??? they do not seem to notice that it is this behaviour that is causing most of the stress in their life.
- Those who fall into substance abuse will usually suffer from low self esteem. This means that when their life falls apart as a result of addiction they can feel like they deserve this misfortune.