When it comes to find drug and alcohol treatment it is always important to consider the options. There is no one approach that works for everyone. People are unique and some will do much better in one program than they will in another. Those individuals who are living in County Armagh and dealing with addiction will want to decide on the path of recovery that seems most likely to work for them. By choosing the right path the individual will be greatly increasing their chances of success.
Private Rehab or Free Rehab
One of the first decisions that people will have to make will be between private or free rehab. There is really no such a thing as free rehab because this type of service always needs to be paid for somehow. When people talk about free rehab they really mean that the money is coming out of public funds. These days most detox clinics are comfortable with professional staff, but there are some good reasons for choosing private over free rehab including:
- If people are waiting for government subsided treatment they may be put on a waiting list. There might not be a place for them available for weeks and during this time the person could lose their motivation to quit. Those individuals who go private will usually not have to worry about any type of waiting list.
- Once of the nice benefits of going private is that the individual will have far more choice about where they go. Not only can they choose from facilities in County Armagh and Northern Ireland, but they can also consider options further afield. The fact that they have so much choice increases the chances of finding something suitable.
- Although most rehabs are comfortable with modern connivances they are not usually up to the same standard as private rehab. Those who pay can expect more comfort and activities during their stay.
- It is often necessary for those who are staying in a government subsidised alcohol or drug rehabilitation to share a bedroom. Those who go private will usually be assured their own private room ??? they may even get their own toilet and fridge. Some of these places offer the same type of facilities that would be found in a five star hotel.
Getting the Most Out of Rehab
No matter what type of rehab the person chooses it will be up to them to make the most out of the experience. Even if the individual is staying in the fanciest rehab in the world it can still feel like a prison sentence if they have the wrong attitude. It is vital that the person views this experience as a chance to build a new and better life. All any rehabilitation facility can do is provided the necessary resources, and it will be up to the individual to make the most of these resources. The person needs to take charge of their own recovery because this is the attitude that will take them towards success once they return home.
What to Expect in Rehab
The exact ways that rehabs operate vary, but some of the commonalities that people can expect will include:
- The individual will usually be fully assessed when they first check themselves into rehab. This is done in order to create a treatment plan that will suit their requirements. This assessment will continue to be updated as the person makes progress in the program. It will help to ensure that they take the recovery path that is best for them.
- Most rehabs will assign a key worker to each client. The key worker will be the member of the team responsible for the client, and it will usually be them who will take part in the one to one therapy sessions. The benefit of having one person on the team that pays special attention to each resident is that it makes it possible to develop a therapeutic relationship.
- The resident will have a schedule for their time in this facility and this will mean that their time will be fairly structured. They will probably have therapy sessions and workshops to attend each day and full attendance will be expected.
- During their time in this facility the person will be expected to follow the rules and regulations. This is as much for their own benefit as it is for anyone else as it helps to ensure a good atmosphere in the rehab.
- In most private facilities the client will be given their own room. It is important that they do not spend all their time because part of the treatment is socialising with other clients. Those people who lock themselves in their room all the time in rehab will usually be treating their time there as a prison sentence, so they are unlikely to get much value out of the experience.
- In many of these places the individual will have domestic duties to attend to ??? these are usually reasonably light.
- The multidisciplinary team will not be able to do the work for the individual. It is there job to provide the client with the support, resources, and help they need, but ultimately it will be up to them to get the most out of the experience. Some rehabs are particularly demanding of the individual, and they will need to be highly motivated to be successful.
- There will usually be shared areas in the facility where the individual will be able to relax, watch TV, dine, or socialise. There is a great deal of work to be done as part of this treatment, but there is also plenty of time for fun. Residents are often amazed to find out how much they enjoy their time in rehab ??? it certainly does not need to be an unpleasant experience at all.
- The programs offered by these facilities are usually broken down into stages. The first stage is detox, and this can be done on the premises or prior to admission. The next stage is where the person begins building a foundation for their recovery. The third stage either involves aftercare or some type of half way rehab program.