Rehab Options in County Antrim
One of the most effective solutions available for people who are suffering the consequences of addiction will be alcohol or drug treatment centres. By entering this type of facility the individual will be committing to a life free of substance abuse, and this will certainly be a step in the right direction. Those who enter this type of facility will benefit in many ways but some of the most notable ways in which they will gain from this type of program will include:
- One of the great benefits of entering a residential program is that the individual will be completely focused on overcoming their problems. They will be not need to worry about their usual obligations and responsibilities. They will be free to put all their attention on getting better.
- By entering a drug and alcohol rehab the person will be joining a structured program that is designed to ensure that they build a strong foundation in recovery. This should mean that by the time they are ready to transition back to normal living they will be better able to deal with the challenges of the sober life.
- The individual will usually take part in group therapy and one to one therapy. This will provide them with the opportunity to examine their behaviour and discover better ways of dealing with things in the future.
- One of the most important aspects of this program is that the person will develop new coping skills and life skills. This will usually include things like anger management and assertiveness training. One of the most common reasons for why people relapse after a period of sobriety is that they feel unable to cope, by attending this type of facility the individual will be able to develop the tools they need to cope in the future.
- Another of the benefits of alcohol and drug rehabs is that the individual will be supported and encouraged during the difficult first few weeks of recovery. If the person makes it through this stage they will be far more likely to achieve lasting sobriety.
Addiction and the Family
Alcohol and drug abuse can have a devastating impact on the life of the addict, their family, and even society as a whole. Most people living in County Antrim will be aware of at least one person who is struggling with substance abuse problems. This individual may have many good qualities but once they are inebriated all hell breaks loose. It is difficult to watch a person destroy their own life and this is particularly difficult for families to deal with ??? especially if they are in any way dependent on the addict. Addiction is often described as a family disease and this is why drug and alcoholics support for families will often be required.
Addiction Help for Families Living in County Antrim
The reality is that if one member of a family is addicted to alcohol or drugs it can have a huge impact on the functioning of this whole unit. This is particularly true when the addict is a parent. The rest of the family will try to adjust to the substance abusers behaviour as best they can but it will usually mean that things are far from ideal. It can mean that even if the addict manages to make it through drug and alcohol treatment the family will still be dysfunctional because this is now the normal. Experience has shown that it is often necessary to involve the whole family in addiction treatment because:
- Each member of the family will usually have been harmed by the addiction so it is important that they are offered the tools and support they need in order to recover.
- When people initially break away from their addiction they will still have many problems to deal with. In order to reduce the risk of them falling back into addiction it is helpful if the family is supportive and understanding ??? although at the end of the day it will always be the individual???s responsibility if they relapse.
- Some family members may believe that just because the individual has gone through rehab it will mean that everything is now going to be perfect. This type of unrealistic expectation can put added pressure on the person in recovery, and they may use it as an excuse to relapse. It is important that everyone has realistic expectations and then no one will be disappointed.
- Addicts usually learn how to survive by manipulating their family members, and they may continue to do this even after they have become sober. It is important that family members develop the skill they need in order to avoid this type of manipulation.
- If they family has become dysfunctional as a result of the addiction they will often need help in order to turn things around. This could involve things like couples counselling.
There are many examples of families in County Antrim who survived addiction and went on to live new and better lives. It is only the addict who needs to actually enter rehab, but the family will usually need help in order to recover from the substance abuse as well.